Skip to main content

Lauf Forks in Review

Lauf Trail Racer vs Lauf TR Boost Fork



For this blog post I am doing a comparison on two mountain bike forks designed and manufactured by Lauf Forks. I am going be reviewing the TR Boost and Trail Racer, they are both great forks and I am going to discuss what the pros and cons are.

The first thing that I noticed when I started to ride the TR Boost is that it is one of the stiffest forks that I have ever ridden. Compared to the Trail Racer the Boost fork has better responsiveness in corners and responds to what you want to do immediately. The Trail Racer isn't as stiff laterally as the TR Boost is and you will notice that when you are cornering hard there might be a bit of flex in the Trail Racer compared to none with the TR Boost. The 60mm of travel is the same for both forks so you wont notice any difference with your suspension.

Compared to the Lauf Trail Racer which uses a standard 100mm thru axle the Lauf Boost uses a 110mm thru axle. When I received the TR Boost fork I didn't have a 110 boost front hub and I was having a very hard time finding one. I ended up getting a 110mm adapter for my current 100mm front hub, you can check out what I used and how to mount the adapter on my YouTube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAmBSFeQObk  The difference with a 110mm front hub is a way stiffer front wheel, 10mm doesn't seem like very much but you will notice a stiffness improvement.

The TR Boost fork using my hub spacer


The TR Boost is bulkier then the Trail Racer. The fork leg of the TR Boost is bigger which makes it stiffer. I didn't find that the extra bulk was anything to worry about compared to the benefits that you get.


TR Boost fork legs

Trail Racer fork legs

The Trail Racer comes in both 27.5" and 29" wheel sizes compared to the TR Boost which only comes in a 29er. You can still use the TR Boost with a 27.5" wheel but since it is designed for a 29er the front of your bikes geometry will change slightly. I ride on a 27.5" and I liked the TR Boost since it also adjusted my fork rake a bit which made for a smoother ride.

The TR Boost is a bit heavier then the Trail Racer. The TR Boost comes in weighing at 1100 grams compared to the Trail Racer at 990 grams. The weight difference is very minimal between the two forks and I hardly noticed any difference in weight when I rode them.

I would say that a smaller individual would fit the Trail Racer better. Since the TR Boost only comes in a 29er and it is a bit bulkier, for some people it may be too big for them. The Trail Racer is a smaller fork so smaller individuals would handle it easier.



I would say that the Lauf Boost fork is better for racing or aggressive riders compared to the Trail Racer. The TR Boost is stiffer laterally and overall gives you a stiffer and more responsive ride. If you are an avid cyclist and ride all the time but don't race as much then the Trail Racer would meet all of your riding needs.

The Lauf TR Boost mounted on my race bike

Posted by, Lauf Forks Ambassador Nick Emsley




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Racing at it's Finest

What a fantastic race season it has been so far! The 2019 winter took its time to leave this spring so it made for a late riding season at home. Now that summer is here the riding has been great and I am putting it lots of time on the bikes! The race seen has been lots of fun and I have already completed 7 races on my schedule. I have been feeling strong this year and am very happy with my race performances so far. During the winter I worked many hours and trained a ton. With dedication and hard work you can make big improvements which I am experiencing this year. A big thank you to my coach Andrew Watson of AWI Coaching for helping me achieve better results and my goals in cycling. Here is my completed races and results, Ontario XC Marathon #1 @ Turkey Point Ontario: 13th Place Ontario XC Marathon #2 @ Mansfield Ontario: 3rd Place Ontario Cup #1 @ Woodnewton Ontario: 7th Place Spring Chicken Marathon @ Beachburg Ontario: 4th Place Ontario XC Marathon #3 @ Ganaraska F

Racing season is almost done!

2018 has had it's up's and down's but I have had some great experiences so far. I took a different approach to my racing year as I did not do as many Ontario cup races and instead focused on Marathon racing and having as much fun as possible on the bike. In the Ontario cup series I moved up to the Elite division, it was a great experience since I did one more lap and the competition was a lot tougher. In the marathon racing scene I added some new races to the calendar and had an absolute blast competing in them. One new race for me was the 60km Spring Chicken Marathon held in Beachburg, Ontario.Unfortunately it ended with a DNF due to breaking my derailleur hanger.  I was also back competing in the Ontario XC Marathon series and new to me was the Stuporcross Gravel series, both series are put on by Substance Projects. I did a blog post near the start of the race year about the True Grit gravel frame made by Lauf Forks, my sponsor from Iceland, you can read the artic